Church graffiti has been on my mind lately. You know – those short and sometimes penetrating words on signs in front of houses of worship. They say things such as, “Don’t give up. Moses was once a basket case.”
I guess it’s because of the many churches with signs I pass on my daily drives. It also could be related to the billboard I recently saw that stated, “Let’s meet at my house Sunday before the game – God.”
Anyway, I’ve been reading a few lately and giving the whole concept some thought. Sometimes, these signs have a theological or evangelistic message, such as this one, “Warning, exposure to the ‘SON’ may prevent burning.” At other times, they are subtly clever, like this one I recently spotted, “The best vitamin for a Christian – B1.”
And then, there are those that are thought-provoking, like this one, “Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.”
Mediate on that one awhile.
How many of us profess a belief with our lips but slip up every now and then with our actions? Most people just watch what we do. As they say, “Actions speak louder than words.”
I don’t really know how these signs got started, nor do I recall talking to other people about the placards or their messages. However, I do notice and read them. What about you? Do you ever pay attention to the proclamations?
Anyway, I’ve decided to include a few I’ve spotted along the way, so here they are:
- To belittle is to be little.
- Under same management for more than 2,000 years.
- Soul food served here.
- Tithe if you love Jesus! Anyone can honk.
- You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
- Beat the Christmas rush. Come to church this Sunday!
- Don’t wait for a hearse to take you to church.
- We should be more concerned with the Rock of Ages, instead of the age of rocks.
- Reputation is what people think about you. Character is what people know you are.
- Come early for a good back seat.
- Life has many choices; eternity has two. What’s yours?
- Worry is interest paid on trouble before it’s due.
- A man’s character is like a fence. It cannot be strengthened by whitewash.
- Wal-Mart isn’t the only saving place!
- Prevent truth decay. Brush up on your Bible.
- It’s hard to stumble when you’re down on your knees.
- What part of ‘Thou Shalt Not’ don’t you understand?
- A clear conscience makes a soft pillow.
- The wages of sin is death. Repent before payday.
- Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.
- Can’t sleep? Try counting your blessings.
- Forbidden fruit creates jams.
- Christians – keep the faith … but not from others.
- Satan subtracts and divides. God adds and multiplies.
- If you do not want to reap the fruits of sin, stay out of the devil’s orchard.
- Don’t let the littleness in others bring out the littleness in you.
- God answers kneemail.
- Try Jesus. If you don’t like him, the devil will always take you back.
Church graffiti – it’s just a little food for thought. Be on the look out, God sometimes speaks to us in the strangest ways. As always, I appreciate your time. Pray you have a great and prosperous week. May God’s many blessings be upon you!
If you like and are blessed by the content created by Outrider Ministries for Christ, we encourage you to regularly visit our website while also telling your family and friends about us. Never forget – you are important to us and vital to our success at spreading the word of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world. May His abounding love, mercy, and grace be upon you.